Ten Percent of High School Students Are Taking College Courses
- 1.4 million high school students took over 2 million college courses from
post-secondary institutions nationwide in 2010-11. This represents 10% of highschool students, higher in upper grades given the vast majority of students taking these classes are Juniors and Seniors. In Iowa, half of
high school graduates complete at least one college course.
- Dual enrollment had an annual growth rate of over 7% during the intervening 8 years since 2002-03.
- Even higher growth rates were seen in schools where a majority of students are ethnic or racial minorities (12%), rural schools (12%), and in the Northeast and Southeast regions of the country (9%)
- 30% of dual enrollments are in Career and Technical Education courses.
Concurrent Enrollment Remains the Most Prevalent Course Delivery Model
- The majority of students are able to take college courses without leaving their high school campus through the concurrent enrollment model, which utilizes college-approved high school instructors to teach college courses.
- Over three-quarters, (77%) of dual enrollment students were taught at secondary school locations, including career centers run by the public school system.
- Of high schools offering dual enrollment, 62% teach at least one academic course at a secondary school location; at 89% of these schools, high school instructors deliver some or all of the college courses.
- 64% of postsecondary institutions with dual enrollment programs offered courses at high school campuses in 2010-12; only 55% did so in 2002-03.
- 45% percent of postsecondary institutions with courses offered at high school campuses utilize high school instructors to teach at least some of those courses.
Students in 4 Out of 5 High Schools Take College Courses
- During the 2010-11 school year nearly 15,000 public high schools (82%) enrolled students in college courses. Over the intervening eight years since NCES last conducted the study, an additional 3,000 public high schools established partnerships with institutions of higher education to offer college courses to their students.
Dual Enrollment Programs & Courses for High School Students at Postsecondary Institutions
Dual Credit and Exam-Based Courses in U.S. Public High Schools